If you have never been a dog owner or you have just acquired your first dog, you might think that owning a dog trailer is a strange or crazy concept. For those of us who have enjoyed the company of our hairy companions for quite some time, you find yourself in one situation or the other where dog trailers are the best solution. Some cases where dog trailers prove to a necessity include:
- When you have a large dog. It is more comfortable, fun, and convenient to have a dog trailer to help you move around with your furry companion.
- When your dog has an injury, illness, or degenerative disease. It is common for active dogs to suffer joint and ligament tears, and that requires them to remain in to heal. But this does not mean you should abandon it. You can take the dog along on a dog bike trailer. This helps the dog release some steam and the pent-up energy due to confinement.
- If you want your senior dog to spend its golden years by your side. Senior dogs are prone to injuries, degenerative diseases, and other muscle and joint and health problems. At this stage, the dogs are no longer as active, and moving around is usually slower and painful for them.
- If you have more than three large dogs and you want to make long-distance road travels.
- If you want to go for a long-distance bike ride with the company of your active dog. A dog can only run by your bike for as far as three kilometres whereas you can ride for more than 40 km in a day.
How to choose the best dog trailers
- The terrain of the roads you intend to ride. Whether it’s a car, motorbike, or bike dog trailer you intend to purchase, the topography of the roads should influence your decision. For instance, rough roads require durable trailers with high-quality hitches to ensure the safety of the dogs. It is also advisable to choose dog trailers with durable and big tires to withstand the bumpy rides and ensure the comfort of your dog. However, smooth tarmacked terrains, your options are limitless, and you can focus on other factors.
- The size and capacity. Just like dogs, there are various sizes of dog trailers that hold different weight capacities. You should know the maximum size and weight your dog can weigh before buying a dog trailer. This is to ensure there is enough space for your dog to move freely. A cramped dog trailer makes the dog uncomfortable and might not support the dog’s weight hence poses as a safety hazard.
- The features and accessories of the dog trailers. There are various models of dog trailers in the market, each one with its unique features. You should research for the dog trailers whose unique features would be an added advantage for you. For instance, some dog trailers have a two in one function, that is, they can be converted from a bicycle pull back trailer and into a push stroller. Such a feature is ideal for people with senior, disabled, or ill dog. Other features and accessories you might choose from include; the braking mechanisms, the flexibility of the frames, types of hitches, safety flags and reflectors, and type of materials, among other characteristics.